DVD Not Clear On Playback

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 15 14:21:48 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 07:43:42PM -0400, Glen Strom wrote:
> A new video card might not be necessary now. I bought a couple of DVD's
> today and they seem to play ok. No ghosting to speak of. There must
> have been something wrong with that first DVD.
>
> I think I might try that FX5200 anyway. It can't hurt to get better
> performance. The current card is pathetically old. I think that would
> be the last upgrade for this box, though. It's not worth spending much
> more on it.
>
> Thanks for your help, Len.

Well maybe the makers of that DVD used a crappy encoder that blurred
motion.  Would be unusual but I guess possible.

Canada computers has the 6800XT for $90.  Strangely it is slower than
the 6600GT (lower clock speed and slower memory) but also costs less
than the 6600GT did.  The model count from nvidia has simply gone too
far.  Too many variants.  Logic computer house lists the FX5200 for $47,
although I have no idea if they have any in stock.

You could get an ATI 9250 for $41, which I believe is one of the few
with open source opengl drivers, although I am not sure about that.  I
also have no idea what it's video acceleration support is like, although
I suspect it does some at least.  Certainly a major upgrade from a rage
128.

--
Len Sorensen