tweaking $TERM

john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Sun May 13 13:30:50 UTC 2007

There used to be an untic command that would revert the compiled termino to text. The files are not compiled like a program, they are preparsed so disassembly is pretty good.

I haven't done this in a while and I'm noit actually certain linux still uses the same format or if untic is simply a link to tic or a seperate program.

----- Original Message -----
From: John Van Ostrand
Sent: 13/05/2007 09:30 AM EDT
To: "tlug" <tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: [TLUG]: tweaking $TERM

Does anyone know about the terminfo database?  Specifically, how to
tweak a terminfo file?

The background is that I use screen a lot.  When I am in screen, my
$TERM variable on Debian testing is "screen-bce", and it works very well.
The backspace key works, the arrows work, the Home and End keys work,
the colours are right - it's all very pleasant.

However, I have started to use finch, a text-based IM client (part of
pdgin, formerly gaim), and it does not recognize the arrow keys if the
$TERM is "screen-bce".  For it to use the arrow keys, I need to set $TERM
to "screen".  That would be fine, except that the colours are a little
off and the Delete, Home, End don't work.

man terminfo is bewilderingly long, but it tells me that a terminfo file
is assembled by humans and then compiled by the tic command.  The
problem I have is that I'd like to compare the source files of screen
and screen-bce, but I don't know where they are, or if I need to get
them from elsewhere.  Does anyone know?  Thanks.
--

yours,

William