tweaking $TERM

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sun May 13 13:31:41 UTC 2007

William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> man terminfo is bewilderingly long, but it tells me that a terminfo file
> is assembled by humans and then compiled by the tic command.  The
> problem I have is that I'd like to compare the source files of screen
> and screen-bce, but I don't know where they are, or if I need to get
> them from elsewhere.  Does anyone know?  Thanks.

The `infocmp` command is the de-compiler counterpart to `tic`, maybe it
will do what you want. It includes options explicitly designed to help
show differences and similarities between two compiled terminfo entries.

The compiled files themselves are in /lib/terminfo/first-letter -- the
second level of directories a throwback to the massive diversity of
terminal-drawing protocols that existed in the heydays of Unix.

Hope this helps.

- Evan