Linux -> Mac?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon May 7 19:26:15 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 02:55:41PM -0400, JoeHill wrote:
> Strange, there are about half a dozen troubleshooting points on the Beryl Wiki
> specific to Nvidia, and 2 of them applied to me ('no window decorations' and
> 'switching between tty and X'), though they were very very simple to 'tweak'.
>
> See here:
>
> http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Troubleshooting_nVidia
>
> Again, it only took me an hour or so to sort out, but Michael was right in
> correcting me that it was not as simple as installing the packages, as I had
> previously claimed.
>
> Conversely, the ATI page is suspiciously blank. Don't know what that means,
> either 'no problem at all', or 'don't even bother'? ;)

More of a 'expect pain'.  ATI's binary drivers don't allow GLX and
Composite to be enabled at the same time, which make for some
interesting problems.  I don't know if it requries aiglx or xgl ro work,
assuming it can be made to work somehow.

> Of course, I am a die hard Nvidia fan (Nvidia fanboy?) for similar reasons to
> yours, I think, in that I have never had to fight very much to get my Nvidia
> card doing what I want it to (though for some reason the graphics in my games
> still aren't where I want them to be, despite having a fairly recent and
> powerful card).

I like nvidia because they provide drivers that work, and keep
supporting old hardware for a long time, although they have started to
discontinue updates for very old chips.  ATI lost my support due to not
giving a damn about anything other than the current chips some years
ago (and that was for windows drivers not linux).  I am not sure how
many years it will take before I will consider ATI again, since I don't
like to be ripped off and/or lied to as a customer.

--
Len Sorensen