Linux -> Mac?

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon May 7 18:55:41 UTC 2007

Lennart Sorensen left a post-it on the fridge:

> On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 11:17:06AM -0400, Michael MacLeod wrote:
> > On 5/5/07, JoeHill <joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Actually, I spent some time recently setting up ubuntu feisty on my room
> > mates computer. Firstly, let me say that Ubuntu continues to impress. I've
> > been a fan since breezy, but it keeps getting better. Anyway, the computer
> > dual boots now, and it's specs are good enough to run oblivion well when
> > booted into windows. It's got an ATI X800 card (not my choice, like I said,
> > my room mate built it).
> >
> > I decided to install beryl. For all the claims of "just do apt-get install
> > beryl" and it's done, that's just not true. But it took an hour and a half
> > to get beryl up and running. AIGLX vs. XGL, open vs. closed source driver,
> > making sure the xorg.conf had compositing disabled vs. enabled, etc. I'm
> > sorry, but for as wonderful as Ubuntu is (and I'm a fan), there are plenty
> > of things that still break *way* too often in linux. Yes, beryl is beta
> > software, and it gets a bit of a pass as a result, but don't try and pretend
> > it's just a matter of apt-getting it. GFTP is a matter of just apt-getting,
> > not beryl.
>
> Well if you happen to have an nvidia based card and are running the
> nvidia closed drivers, then it really doesn't take much other than
> install the beryl packages.  If you have something else, you get to play
> with aiglx or xgl and all that other lovely mess.
>
> I actually wasted a bunch of time before figuring out that all those
> instructions did in fact NOT apply to me since I was using an nvidia
> where things just worked.  No xgl or aiglx mess required.

Strange, there are about half a dozen troubleshooting points on the Beryl Wiki
specific to Nvidia, and 2 of them applied to me ('no window decorations' and
'switching between tty and X'), though they were very very simple to 'tweak'.

See here:

http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Troubleshooting_nVidia

Again, it only took me an hour or so to sort out, but Michael was right in
correcting me that it was not as simple as installing the packages, as I had
previously claimed.

Conversely, the ATI page is suspiciously blank. Don't know what that means,
either 'no problem at all', or 'don't even bother'? ;)

Of course, I am a die hard Nvidia fan (Nvidia fanboy?) for similar reasons to
yours, I think, in that I have never had to fight very much to get my Nvidia
card doing what I want it to (though for some reason the graphics in my games
still aren't where I want them to be, despite having a fairly recent and
powerful card).

--
JoeHill