Gmail users - request regarding HTML

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 7 15:04:30 UTC 2007

On 5/7/07, Alex Beamish <talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I've searched and searched in Account Settings, but there doesn't
> appear to be anything that say 'Never use HTML!' as I've seen in other
> mailing programs. Even replying to your message, GMail hopped into
> HTML mode, and warned me when I switched back that some formatting
> would be lost.
>
> I was going to guess that it takes its cues from the originating
> message .. but your message is most definitely text only -- no HTML. I
> don't care to follow up on this with Google, but if someone else has
> time, let us know.

I read that and thought you must be crazy, or something, because my
account defaults to plain text unless someone sends me a rich text
email, but then I searched and searched, and I could find anything
either.  According to this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/Gmail-Problem-solving/browse_thread/thread/3f8e5c113fb19c1d/b83e54f827435544?lnk=gst&q=plain+text&rnum=39#b83e54f827435544
you can get GMail to default to plain text by going to the Compose
screen, switch to plain text, and then close the Compose screen.

I haven't tried it--I think I'm already in the "default to plain text"
mode, and I don't want to screw it up.

Ian

--
Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com