Linux -> Mac?

Michael MacLeod mikemacleod-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 6 18:03:04 UTC 2007

On 5/6/07, JoeHill <joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> No doubt there is a difference, I would never dispute that. I wish I had
> the
> bucks for a Mac, it's always been my dream to pick one up. I'm curious,
> though,
> and I'm not asking in an argumentative sense at all: with a Mac, how much
> is
> one able to make personalized changes to the way the Mac UI behaves?

There are of course some options in the System Preferences menu for the look
and feel of the OS, but not like one would be used to in Linux, especially
if you've used the beryl setting manager.

The apple website features this series of articles:
http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/customize/ which document how you can
customize your mac using the System Preferences. There are also third party
apps you can download that can modify the interface in other ways. One
example is Uno: http://gui.interacto.net/

But I honestly haven't strayed too far from the defaults. I like the
'graphite' theme, and I put the scroll buttons at the top and bottom of the
scroll bar instead of both being at the bottom by default. But beyond that I
don't really change much. I like the interface very much. There are of
course a few things I'd like to see done a little differently, but they
aren't important enough for me to get frustrated by it, I just work around
it. And more than a couple of times elements of the interface that I thought
I'd hate I've since grown to see are actually really smart.