Linux -> Mac?

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun May 6 16:38:25 UTC 2007

Michael MacLeod left a post-it on the fridge:

> On 5/5/07, JoeHill <joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > Michael MacLeod left a post-it on the fridge:
> >
> > > So, after using them both I still use them both, just each in their
> > > respective niche. I've heard good things about beryl and xgl, but for
> > all
> > > that hassle, I could spend that time doing something more productive.
> >
> > Hassle? You mean 'apt-get/urpmi/etc beryl'? ;)
> >
> I decided to install beryl. For all the claims of "just do apt-get install
> beryl" and it's done, that's just not true. But it took an hour and a half
> to get beryl up and running. AIGLX vs. XGL, open vs. closed source driver,
> making sure the xorg.conf had compositing disabled vs. enabled, etc. I'm
> sorry, but for as wonderful as Ubuntu is (and I'm a fan), there are plenty
> of things that still break *way* too often in linux. Yes, beryl is beta
> software, and it gets a bit of a pass as a result, but don't try and pretend
> it's just a matter of apt-getting it. GFTP is a matter of just apt-getting,
> not beryl.

Yes, you did just remind me, I had to edit my xorg.conf to get Beryl working
correctly, and it did take about an hour, including reading the very very
thorough documentation on the Beryl Wiki. I got the mistaken impression you
were talking about spending several hours/days fighting with it. I was amazed
at how much easier it was to get going compared to the first time I tried to get
Compiz working last year on Mandriva 2006.

All I have to say now is 'Expose Rocks!' (yeah, I know Expose is the name for
it on the Mac, right?), and the enhanced task switcher is way cool too.

> So yeah, that hour and a half could have been spent doing something else.
> Plus the hour I spent going through the beryl config options getting them
> "just right." I'm not complaining, I do this as a hobby because I enjoy it.
> I'm subscribed to my local linux users group mailing list after all. But I
> installed it on a spare computer, in some extra time I had. If I need to be
> doing productive work (school work, coding, correspondence, photo editing,
> etc) it happens on the mac, because It Just Works.

No doubt there is a difference, I would never dispute that. I wish I had the
bucks for a Mac, it's always been my dream to pick one up. I'm curious, though,
and I'm not asking in an argumentative sense at all: with a Mac, how much is
one able to make personalized changes to the way the Mac UI behaves?

--
JoeHill