no color in bash & vi

waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu May 3 22:46:25 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 04:08:30PM -0400, Martin Duclos wrote

> What I'm trying to accomplish is to have colors in bash setup by
> default for all users and also colors when I use vi to edit various
> programming languages like perl and java.

  Well, if you want all users to have colorful bash, it should be
somewhere in /etc/.  The comments in /etc/profile say...
# Newer bash ebuilds include /etc/bash/bashrc which will setup PS1
# including color.  We leave out color here because not all
# terminals support it.

  /etc/bashrc is where you set bash to be colorful.

  vim is a separate app, and has its own config file.  You want
"color on" (without the quotes) in /etc/vim/vimrc.

  Individual users can always override locally.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?