no color in bash & vi

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu May 3 21:24:43 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 04:08:30PM -0400, Martin Duclos wrote:
> I have this nagging problem... I used to have color in bash and vi (on an
> old retired rh7.3 box). I managed to find out that export
> COLORS=/etc/dirCOLOR.xterm and I get colors in the shell. The question is,
> where is this supposed to be set? Also found dircolor which I assume to be
> an internal bash command... I did some googling and found various hints to
> set colors for specific commands like ls. What I'm trying to accomplish is
> to have colors in bash setup by default for all users and also colors when
> I use vi to edit various programming languages like perl and java.

vi supports syntax highlighting (add syn on to your .vimrc).  It is
normally off by default.  It requires a terminal type that supports
colour text of course.

ls can do colour output too with the right environment options set such
as:

export LS_OPTIONS='--color=auto'
eval "`dircolors`"
alias ls='ls $LS_OPTIONS'