Seeking opinions

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Thu May 3 17:00:51 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 11:48 -0400, Brice Chaffin wrote:
> I am looking for advice on how to get started with Linux as a career.
>
> I face some pros and cons in this quest.
>
> Pros:
>
> I usually learn quickly
> I consider loyalty important
> I love working with technology
>
> Cons:
>
> I have no official experience or certification, just personal
> experience.
>

> My question is: How does someone get started from such a position?
> I have been into computers and technology for years. I have been a
> Linux user for six years, and have used several distributions on
> different platforms in that time. I have tried to expand my knowledge
> and concentrate on practical skills. I have some programming ability,
> but am more interested in system administration. I also do most of my
> own PC assembly and maintainence, so I am a fair technician as well.
>

> I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Well you have two of the big points covered: quick learning, and
enthusiastic. I have found that really successful IT people are
enthusiasts who spend a lot of time learning and experimenting and look
at technical problems as interesting challenges. That is a generalism,
because I also know people who are good at what they do but don't have
enough passion to work after hours on it, they rely on other skills to
be useful.

It sounds like you have some good base experience that you can leverage,
but I have seen individuals with those same qualifications (plus formal
education) have trouble dealing with the subtleties and scale of
business systems.

Most businesses will not hire a person without experience and without
relevant formal education. Holding certifications will help, but it's
not a guarantee.

So I think you have three choices: enroll in college or university,
obtain certifications, or try starting your own business.

College and university, although very time consuming, is the long-term
best approach. Coop courses provide needed income and experience.

Certifications are a riskier route. Many of the training facilities
(like Nexient) and colleges will offer certification tracks that take
about year, cost more than a three year college course but, if you
interview well, can get you an entry level position. They are mostly
based on Microsoft (has anyone seen a Open Source version) but contain
Novell and Cisco certifications as well. I usually pass over these
candidates because they are less rounded (usually no programming or
business skills.)

Starting your own business is another problem. It can take a long time
to generate enough business to make a full time income and if you
haven't already worked in the IT industry it can be intimidating
approaching even medium sized businesses.

Still, now is a good time. I feel Linux is nearing the tipping point and
the next few years may see a huge vacuum in the Linux skills market.

Here is my advice:

1. Choose where you want to go. Is it software development, web
development, system administration, systems integration (e.g. installing
new systems/services,) support, embedded systems, training, etc.

2. Be social. Attend LUG meetings and/or be active on the lists. The
most successful people usually have very good people skills. Look for
other groups to become part of (TAUG, PerlMongers, etc.)

3. Get more experience. If it's programming, sysadmin, or integration
look for non-profit organizations that need IT support. Many won't have
much money and will welcome volunteer work. This may include official
non-profits as well as community events. Push for Linux and open source.
It can do everything that Microsoft software does.

4. For programming experience pick an interesting software project and
start donating code. They often have a feature wish list that you could
tackle.

5. Talk to the colleges and universities about courses. This is your
long-term best chance for a successful career.

I hope it helps.