is LPIC Certifications Respected in industry.

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue May 1 03:01:53 UTC 2007

On 4/30/07, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 05:39:45PM -0400, Pavel Zaitsev wrote:
> > I think idea of certification is to catch the eye of the resumre reviewer, not
> > to instill credibility of the individual in their possible boss. For that you
> > have completed projects. Often people filtering out resumes are farthest from
> > technical field, as these things help. A+, CCNS, MCSE whatever.
>
> But that simply means that certifications are trying to solve a problem
> that should be solved with a much more direct approach.  Stop having
> clueless people reviewing the resumes.

In that case, it's pretty well certain that you needn't apply to work
at any company with much more than about 100 employees, because once
companies grow past that size, the HR function starts specializing
away that capability.

Staying with small companies has a number of merits.  There are also
some demerits; generally, large companies have more resources to play
with, and that sometimes matters.
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)