is LPIC Certifications Respected in industry.

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 1 19:52:54 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 11:01:53PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> In that case, it's pretty well certain that you needn't apply to work
> at any company with much more than about 100 employees, because once
> companies grow past that size, the HR function starts specializing
> away that capability.

I do prefer smaller companies.  It seems once a company reaches a
certain size it gets too many layers of management and good decision
making becomes nearly imposible.  Tends to get frustrating.

During a co-op term at a company that had 1600 PCs on a single 10Mbit
ethernet, I talked to my boss about the fact we ought to segment the
network into seperate pieces for each division.  Nothing ever happened
with that.  Then a few months later HP has been contracted to come in
and investigate why the network performance is so crappy, and after a
few weeks their report recomended segmenting the network into seperate
pieces for each division.  Yeah we really had to pay HP lots of money to
figure that out. :)

> Staying with small companies has a number of merits.  There are also
> some demerits; generally, large companies have more resources to play
> with, and that sometimes matters.

Sometimes it can be easier to get the right resources in a small company
because the people making the decisions actually have a clue what the
company does and what is needed to do it.

--
Len Sorensen