Yet Another reason to use linux...

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 31 15:51:56 UTC 2007

On Friday 30 March 2007, Pavel Zaitsev wrote:
[snip]
> Its nice however to see that government is very positive about
> Linux deployment. Regards,

Which government(s)? I haven't seen much evidence at the municipal,
provincial, or federal level of being pro open source. In fact, based
upon conversations I had with senior Treasury Board civil servants a
couple of years ago when the province was running "How to do Business
With the Ontario Government" workshops, I got the impression that
they were quite dismissive of open source and had the "if it was any
good, they would charge money for it" attitude that I've seen in some
business people. They use open source but it's really incidental and
accidental, certainly not through deliberate policy.

Governments everywhere but in English-speaking countries seem to be
embracing open source. One example would be the Turkish government.
It has taken the unusual step of not only favouring the use of open
source but actively funding over a dozen people working full-time on
the Pardus <http://www.pardus.org.tr/eng/index.html> Linux
distribution. You can read a recent review here:
<http://beranger.org/index.php?article=2441>. I haven't tried Pardus
yet but it looks very appealing.
--
Regards,