What Is The Linux Version Of ...

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 28 02:37:28 UTC 2007

Christopher Browne wrote:

> As followup to one of the discussions that came up yesterday at the
> board meeting, I set up the following wiki page:
> http://gtalug.org/wiki/LinuxVersionOf
>
> It seeks to answer the question:  "What is the Linux Version of ..."
>
> It's woefully incomplete, answering the question for only a few
> values.  Feel free to augment it to additional applications that
> people ask about :-).

I'm about 5 years out of date in terms of knowing what the current equivalents
are on the lesser OS, praise be, but there are several packages I can think of
on Linux that must have *something* approaching a bearable alternative on
Windows: mplayer, gaim, jabber, x-chat, ekiga, nvu, gnucash, xmms, and
brethren, and of course...

...the infinite number of terminal emulators, which make the windows 'command
prompt' look like it's written with 10 lines of BASIC :-)

+, who here would rather learn bash scripting than Visual Basic? What, no one
for VB??

Perhaps there could be a section on software that has no *free* equivalent on
Windows? Just to be cute (I could be wrong on these, like I say, I'm a bit out
of date on Windows):

gtkam, jpilot, any video software that plays DVD's (assuming Windows still
does not ship with a native DVD player),  dvdauthor, cdrkit, blender,
sodipodi,  xsane, bogofilter, spammassassin, procmail ;-)

--
JoeHill