What Is The Linux Version Of ...

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 28 03:40:03 UTC 2007

JoeHill wrote:
> I'm about 5 years out of date in terms of knowing what the current equivalents
> are on the lesser OS, praise be, but there are several packages I can think of
> on Linux that must have *something* approaching a bearable alternative on
> Windows: mplayer, gaim, jabber, x-chat, ekiga, nvu, gnucash, xmms, and
> brethren, and of course...

Some of the packages you mention are multi-platform. GAIM, Nvu (IIRC), and
Blender are available for Windows Linux, and possibly other OS as well.

Nvu would be the Linux version of something like Dreamweaver, or possibly
Front Page (both commercial apps).

Inkscape or Skencil (vector based graphics editors) could be compared to Adobe
Illustrator.

Scribus could be compared to whatever is one of the main Windows desktop
publishing programs. I can't remember the name of one of the Windows DTP
programs right now.

Delphi is (or was) available for Linux at one point. I seem to recall checking
out a version of it on my machine briefly.

And, yes, GIMP is a more than reasonable alternative to Photoshop for most
people who aren't involved in working on stuff that needs to be sent to print
shops.

If you want to list alternatives to IE, there is a long list starting with
Firefox, Netscape, Mozilla, and Opera.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.