tips needed; dealing with mental block while coding

Tue Mar 27 00:08:41 UTC 2007

I find these blocks as well.  I take a couple of approaches.

1. I ask for help on a forum specific to the problem-space or the
language.

2. I write a bunch of comments for the code, as well as stub functions,
so that if I'm not doing anything profound, I'm at least making
progress.

3. Write a different piece of the project.

4. Try and solve my problem in another language.

5. Read a couple of web-comics.

6. Drink.

7. Go outside and feel the wind on my face.

8. Stretch, walk, or people-watch.

9. Explain the system to someone until I'm excited again.

None of these happen in a particular order.
--

yours,

William