Getting sound to work in Slackware

Glen Strom gstrom-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 17 20:55:12 UTC 2007

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 12:26:24 -0500 (EST)
sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org wrote:

> Again, if anyone can refer me to appropriate reading material would be
> appreciated. I have gone through the Sound-HOWTO, and:
>
> 1. there is no plug-and-play on my system (according to isapnp)
> 2. the kernel modules for sound are present (seems like more modules
> than I expected) - listed below
> 3. the default device files are all there and appear to be OK
> 4. I have configured ALSA (alsamixer), and it seems to load OK (no
> errors)
> 5. When I play an mp3 file, I get a repeating message
>          "ALSA: underrun, at least 0ms."
>    and no sound.
> 6. None of the system sounds work either, even though it is enabled.

Make sure you add your user account to the audio group in /etc/group.
Also, check the permissions on /dev/dsp (which is symlinked
to /dev/dsp0) and /dev/mixer (which is symlinked to /dev/mixer0). You
need read/write permission for owner and group (both devices are in the
audio group).

A good source of information is the archive of the newsgroup
alt.os.linux.slackware. You can access it from Google groups. I found
many of the answers I needed there.

--
Glen Strom
gstrom-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org