Getting sound to work in Slackware

Slackrat slackrat4Q-MOdoAOVCFFcswetKESUqMA at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 18 13:58:51 UTC 2007

* sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org a écrit
> Again, if anyone can refer me to appropriate reading material would be
> appreciated. I have gone through the Sound-HOWTO, and:
>
> 1. there is no plug-and-play on my system (according to isapnp)
> 2. the kernel modules for sound are present (seems like more modules than
>    I expected) - listed below
> 3. the default device files are all there and appear to be OK
> 4. I have configured ALSA (alsamixer), and it seems to load OK (no errors)
> 5. When I play an mp3 file, I get a repeating message
>          "ALSA: underrun, at least 0ms."
>    and no sound.
> 6. None of the system sounds work either, even though it is enabled.
>
> If anyone can help. For what it is worth, the output of lsmod appears below.
> I must remark on an unusual number of sound modules from what I am used to
> seeing in other distros.

Your problem seems a tad strange

On a relatively recent slack install, all that is needed is

alsaconf

alsamixer

alsactl store

No need to do the /dev/dsp boogie like we used to do

I use aumixer personally for sound levels, etc, but almost any should
work without problem

And for sound on Youtube: aoss opera
                          aoss firefox
I dunno about other browsers because I never use them

--
Regards, Slackrat [Bill Henderson] [No _4Q_ for direct email]