Troubleshooting without help from others (was: Failed to open control device /dev/em8300-0)

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 15 14:31:19 UTC 2007

On 3/14/07, Jason Spiro <jasonspiro4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> 2007/2/27, Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> [snip]
> > I thought for a long time that Google is our friend. That we can find
> there an
> > answer to any technical problem.
> >
> > Thats right. We can find there _an_ answer. In most cases naive and
> useless.
> > We can hardly find however a solution to the problem.
> >
> > Why?
> >
> > Because most what we find on Google are silly discussions by
> unexperienced
> > people. Once they find a solution to their problem they do not bother to
> > report back how they solved their problem.
>
> Last summer, a coworker of mine was a software package tester who used
> to be an auto mechanic.  He noted I turn to Google a lot for help with
> problems.  He said it was important to know how to troubleshoot
> without any help from the Web, or mailing lists, or anywhere: to know
> how to track down problems by logical troubleshooting steps.
>
> Is this true?  How important is it, really, to know how to
> troubleshoot independently?

Interesting question -- I think it's vital to be able to troubleshoot
effectively, in just about any job there is.

But I wouldn't say cutting myself off from Google, Perlmonks, IRC or the
mailing lists would help me in my field of software develop and support.
Sometimes there isn't even a specific error -- it works, but it's slow: how
can I make it faster? Or, I'm doing X using the following module, but are
there more efficient modules?

Getting back to your auto mechanic -- did he never talk to his fellow
mechanics about a specific problem? "Oh yeah, the 91-93 Mustangs had a
different design for the front end -- different tie-rods then the rest of
the Fords." Did he never call one of the manufacturer reps? "Volvos are
really easy to maintain -- but always check the rad hoses!" Were there ever
bulletins from the manufacturers? "Sorry -- can't service your car. Our
insurance doesn't cover cars fitted with nitrous." Did he ever have supplier
reps call selling a new brand of tires, batteries, oil or wiper blades?

Or maybe that was an off-hand comment .. and maybe he was pulling your leg.
:)

--
Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario

ps I really don't know much about cars -- I made up all of the car-related
quotes up above. In case it wasn't obvious. :)