slack 11 menu problems

Glen Strom gstrom-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 12 04:05:32 UTC 2007

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:05:43 -0500 (EST)
sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org wrote:

> According to Glen's instructions, I added the following lines to my
> .bash_profile:
>
> ==============
> KDEDIR=/opt/kde
> KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde
> PATH="$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH"
>
> export PATH
> export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/usr/share:/opt/kde/etc/xdg
> export XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share:/opt/kde/share
> ================
>
> The added "old email" was unclear as to whether the last two
> environment variables were to be put into the same file. I ran them
> without, and then with. I sourced the file, and ran
> update-desktop-database
>
> The error message said:
>
> No directories in update-desktop-database search path could be
> processed and updated.
>
> I checked /opt/kde/etc/xdg and there were *.menu files there. They all
> have permission 644. Does anyone understand the above error?
>
> Paul King

I found the following in a KDE manual. Perhaps this might help.

"After an upgrade my K menu appears to be empty! How can I get my menu
back?
In KDE 3.2 and later local modifications to the K menu are stored in
$HOME/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu . Try moving this file
out of the way and then issuing the command kbuildsycoca
--noincremental. This should restore you to the default system menus."

Yes, I'm guessing. Maybe that's why I use icewm as my window manager
within KDE and stick to my own hand-built menus. I long ago gave up
trying to understand the KDE menu system. But hey, it conforms to the
Desktop Menu Specification, so it must be right, right?

--
Glen Strom
gstrom-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org