Slack 11 boots up -- some first impressions

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 11 05:02:41 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 05:34:58AM -0500, Paul King wrote

> This time, it would seem that in order to install slackware, I have
> to log in as root, and manually mount my filesystem under a virtual
> /mnt directory.  Otherwise, pkgtool won't work. But you see, in order
> to install stuff, I would have to also manually format the install
> partitions (there being apparently no install script to streamline
> this process for me). To be fair, I only booted once with the DVD,
> and I could have missed something, but I don't recall being given
> any other choice other than logging on as root.

  That's basically how the Gentoo install has always worked, except that
you're dumped at the root prompt automatically.  You have to set up the
partitions and mount the root partition and install the basic system.

> Once logged in as root, there is no escape. "logout" doesn't work,
> and Control+D doesn't log out (I just get another prompt). I do a
> "ps ax" to find out what shell I am running. It reports "sh". It
> also reports two init processes. Hmph. I powered down manually,
> but I may have missed a "reboot" command and didn't try CTRL+ALT+DEL.

  "reboot" or possibly "halt".  Remember that you're running an install
DVD, not a Knoppix "live DVD".

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1