make-kpkg makes HUGE kernel packages??

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 7 03:04:59 UTC 2007

i,

i'm having a problem using make-kpkg to build kernel packages on my
laptop, which runs ubuntu feisty and currently has make-kpkg version
10.065ubuntu4.  this happens with upstream, debian, and ubuntu sources,
as far as I can tell, but most of my experimentation has been with
ubuntu's linux-source package.  has anyone ever heard of anything like
this?  the vmlinuz produced by the package is of normal size, but the
initrd is huge -- 43 megs! -- and /lib/modules/kernel-version-number/ is
on the order of 530 megs!!!

obviously a half-gig-sized kernel package is not optimal, i'd very much
like to figure out what's going on here... also i should say that the
after the build process, the source directory becomes enormous -- 2.7
gigs with ubuntu's 2.6.20 as opposed to a more restrained 700megs back
in the old days.

so, if anyone's seen anything like this before... please let mek now!
thanks,

matt

--
Matt Price