next impressions of slack 11

Glen Strom gstrom-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 10 17:13:16 UTC 2007

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 09:30:47 -0500
"Paul King" <sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I get full menus as root, but as any other user, application menus
> are completely missing. I guess that's a permission problem
> somewhere, because I remember kde maintains its menus in actual
> directories and files. I'll just have to snoop around.

Is /opt/kde/bin in your path in the .bash_profile file? I also have the
following entries in .bash_profile:

KDEDIR=/opt/kde
KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde
PATH="$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH"

I can't remember if I added them or they were added during the
install, but that may help.

An alternative is something I saw in an old e-mail I found on Google:

--------------------------
Hi Edgar:

Ensure these two env. variables are set properly.

$XDG_CONFIG_DIRS - this points to files that define the layout of the
main menu. Look for files with this naming convention *.menu.

$XDG_DATA_DIRS - this points to files with the *.desktop convention.
These files define the applications installed in your system.

Of course these two variables are dependent on your method of install.
For example, my two variables look like this:

$XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/usr/share:/opt/kde/etc/xdg
$XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share:/opt/kde/share

"update-desktop-database" must be run after you set these variables.
This command will update the connections between your apps and
mimetypes. Each directory in your $XDG_DATA_DIRS path will contain a
directory named "applications". In this directory should be a file
named "mimeinfo.cache".

Shawn

--
Glen Strom