next impressions of slack 11

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 10 14:30:47 UTC 2007

Now that I have Slackware 11 installed, there are some things I like

1. I got my "rl" console font back!
2. I got "splitvt" back!
3. unauthorized sudo access not only gives a "this incident will be reported"
message, but the incident is *actually* reported to root! Wow!
3. /dev hasn't been f**cked with - devices I made don't disappear after reboot
4. /etc/group hasn't been f**cked with (I can edit it and add groups without
causing problems)

Yes, nothing makes me happier than a good base system. The kind that's made for
diving in and fixing what's broken -- or imporving on it. However, there seems
to be a learning curve with X:

I get full menus as root, but as any other user, application menus are
completely missing. I guess that's a permission problem somewhere, because I
remember kde maintains its menus in actual directories and files. I'll just
have to snoop around.

Paul King