make-kpkg makes HUGE kernel packages??

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 7 17:41:12 UTC 2007

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 12:15:24PM -0500, Matt Price wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 07:51 -0500, Ian Petersen wrote:
> > I've never used make-kpkg before, so this is a shot in the dark, but
> > it sounds like you're building every module under the sun, or
> > something similar.  Can you modify the .config file that's used when
> > make-kpkg builds the kernel?
> > \
> yes, i thought of that, but i've looked at the .config of the packages
> thus produced and they aren't crazy--they're just the standard ubuntu
> configs modified slightly (in the case of ubuntu's 2.6.20.  have to
> investigate more closely with other flavours).
>
> i do find it really weird...

I don't even think there is that many modules in the kernel that it
could end up that big.  Sounds like either 2.6.20 changed something that
make-kpkg needs to know about, or there is some other bug happening.

Did you check which part of /lib/modules for the package is using all
the space?  Maybe you can find which files are so big.

The only time I ever got a kernel anywhere near that size was when I
enabled the full kernel debug symbols, which bloated the kernel about
10x the normal size.

--
Len Sorensen