Writing

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 2 23:15:42 UTC 2007

--- Aaron Vegh <aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the input Colin. I also write
> professionally and while I
> don't make a living at it, it still makes up a
> compelling 15% of my
> annual revenue, which I'm not prepared to lose! :-)

There are a few folks, such as sometimes visitor to
this list Marcel Gagne who I gather makes a reasonable
living from writing. Others, like Chris Johnson, I
gather make a significant percentage of their income
from writing. So, yes it is possible to make a living
writing, I'm just not there (at least not yet).

> I think it IS possible to make a living writing; I
> just just would
> rather it be a part of my overall technology
> business. Of course, the
> answer is to diversify: write for as many
> publications as possible.
> The trade press is the most profitable for
> mainstream stuff (I have a
> number of articles for Smart Computing magazine, for
> example), but
> corporate writing even edges that out. I've written
> a number of
> articles for HP, of all companies, for a specialized
> Enterprise
> computing magazine that you've likely never heard of
> ("Transforming
> Your Enterprise"). They pay _very_ well. I can see
> that if I were to
> string together a couple more magazines and another
> HP-class client,
> one could make a reasonable living.

Good point about the trade publications.

=== message truncated ===