Writing

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 2 19:42:47 UTC 2007

Thanks for the input Colin. I also write professionally and while I
don't make a living at it, it still makes up a compelling 15% of my
annual revenue, which I'm not prepared to lose! :-)

I think it IS possible to make a living writing; I just just would
rather it be a part of my overall technology business. Of course, the
answer is to diversify: write for as many publications as possible.
The trade press is the most profitable for mainstream stuff (I have a
number of articles for Smart Computing magazine, for example), but
corporate writing even edges that out. I've written a number of
articles for HP, of all companies, for a specialized Enterprise
computing magazine that you've likely never heard of ("Transforming
Your Enterprise"). They pay _very_ well. I can see that if I were to
string together a couple more magazines and another HP-class client,
one could make a reasonable living.

I think the only real point I wanted to make in this reply though is
to not be too picky about who you write for. The subject matter is
important, but if you're looking to do it as a career, you need to
think of writing itself as the reward, not the subject. I'd recast
that sentence, but hey, this is email. :-)

Cheers,
Aaron.