Fwd: Centrino support

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 17 01:41:31 UTC 2007

Colin McGregor wrote:
> The following question was passed on to me by the
> editor of a magazine I have written for. Anyone know
> how to make wireless play nice on Linux based Centrino
> laptops?
>
> One person (with the luck? / misfortune? to live) in
> New Jersry would appreciate an answer.

http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php

untar the firmware in /lib/firmware, maybe reboot. I've used all those
distros with my Centrino laptop over the past few years, most distros
have worked without any intervention on my part iirc. I didn't install
it manually on my Fedora desktop box, but it's sitting there in
/lib/modules, ergo...

The ipw2200 driver is part of the kernel, it's totally free. The
firmware is the only part that may require a user to intervene.

 > "None of the LINUX magazines have addressed this
 > problem for YEARS!!!"

Not really a problem that has needed addressing, or the distros
themselves have made it into a non-issue. WPA works with all those
distros mentioned as well. wpa-supplicant isn't going away anytime soon,
and usually (unless you have a broadcom card, and even then things are
improving...) it works without any hassle.

Rebuilding the ieee80211 and ipw2200 modules is straightforward as well.
That is really only necessary to enable monitor mode for those cards,
but I don't think that that's what the user is after in this case.

Jamon