Wiki Defacement

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 14 14:09:33 UTC 2007

--- Sy Ali <sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> As I said before, the best solution is the Bad
> Behavior extension and
> a few basic MediaWiki settings.
>
> With those basics in place, I allow anonymous
> editing and I almost
> never get spam (maybe once every couple of months)

Please name the extensions, as while the spam storm
has declined considerably, it is not gone (plus we
still have the crap left behing by previous spam
attacks). So, we need to do something. Further, over
the last 24 hours I see that roughly 50 new Wiki
accounts have been created, and while a few may be
legit, we need to assume most (or all) are bad news.

I spoke to Seneca last evening, her view is that we
are talking about 3 "players" after our Wiki, two
appear to be human, and one seems to be some sort of
'bot. I have not been watching the junk closely enough
to be sure about this, but it sounds reasonable,
Regardless this just means shaking the spammers off
may be more of a pain.

Colin McGregor