DSL service [was Re:TLUG Mail list archives?]

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 11 16:43:04 UTC 2007

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:

> It is a sad state of affairs when the choices we have for broadband
> Internet access in Canada is based which of the two monopolies you
> hate the least.

Canada _needs_ a Telecommunications Ombudsman.  Australia, New Zealand,
the US and UK all have one.

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/oca-bc.nsf/en/ca01928e.html#3

The project listed above is now close I think.  Not sure if Canada is any
closer to having an TIO.  Note: the CRTC doesn't count as it doesn't have
the jurisdiction over Internet traffic that is primarily alphanumeric
(eek, what a demarcation line).

Several times back in Australia I had problems with ISPs and Telcos.  I
had proven the problem was at their end but they were intransient.  In
each case I gave the company time to resolve the problem and when they
didn't I mentioned the TIO.  So far I'm yet to have to make a complaint to
the TIO in Australia.  Merely mentioning the option resolves the problem
quickly.

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"