dont install latest flash plugin

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 10 14:58:03 UTC 2007

On 6/9/07, Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> It is 9 something. Others wrote already and confirmed the problem. I experienced it at work and home, on different versions of Red Hat (I use Centos 5 at home and some older version  of Red hat at work) but i do not think that it is a matter what OS is used.

With Flash, you'll be able to find people to confirm any statement at
all: "it works great!" or "it's horrible!" or even "why would you want
to look at any website that uses that Flash crap anyway?" will all get
equal support.

I've had lots of problems with Flash in the past - it frequently
caused my browser to crash.  At the best it would sometimes show
stuff, but I've had months when it would cause browser crashes with no
return whatsoever - I believe that was with both v5 and v7.  I lived
without Flash for months.  But I'm eternally hopeful so I kept trying
each new version.  Right now I have Flash v9.0.31.0.4 running with
IceWeasel (aka "Firefox with a different logo for Debian") v2.0.0.3-1
running on Debian testing with kernel 2.6.18-3-k7 with almost no
problems.  I say "almost" because Firefox will crash every few days if
I leave it up 24x7, but FF v2 does that even without Flash (memory
leaks, I think).  And I had to turn off sound alerts in Gmail -
extensive testing with a patient friend proved that his sending me a
message in the pager when I was on another virtual desktop was
guaranteed to crash Firefox.

I think that what it comes down to is that Flash is, indeed,
unreliable, and it can cause problems.  But living without Flash is
extremely annoying, and v7 of Flash doesn't display a lot of new
content.  I've been unable to determine what mix of software makes
Flash happy or unhappy (I would blame Flash for its own unhappiness,
not the other software, but either way Flash is a moody bastard).  I
think the only solution is the pragmatic approach - install it if you
want it and watch closely over the next few hours and days, then
decide for yourself if the headaches it creates are worth the
benefits.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/