DSL service [was Re:TLUG Mail list archives?]

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 8 23:41:55 UTC 2007

On Friday 08 June 2007 15:02, James Knott wrote:
> Jeff Liu wrote:
> > Rogers is not DSL, it is cable modem link. From a book I read
> > years ago, a possible disadvantage for cable modem is if there
> > are many users in the same neighborhood,  the download speed can
> > be slow since downstream is done by broadcasting.
> >
> > I am not so sure about this, it is only some knowledge I get from
> > a book.
>
> No matter how you get your internet connection, at some point it's
> shared.  While with ADSL, you have a dedicated path to the CO, the
> line into the DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Module) shelf
> is shared.
[snip]

This is one of the reasons I find Sympatico ads so offensive. It is an
outright lie that Sympatico users do not share bandwidth with their
neighbours and I am surprised that the Competition Bureau or some
advertising standards council has not called them on it. If they are
really offering a dedicated 5Mb/s connection for $30 per month, I
would like 20 of those at the colo facility where we have our servers
please.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay