(Simple?) High availability question

tleslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 2 02:31:04 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 21:15 -0400, Ansar Mohammed wrote:
> There are many types of HA solutions.
> 1. Load balancing: This assumes that there is little or no data to
> synchronize and basically the client connections are load balanced between
> two or more hosts. Eg: DNSRR, OpenBSD pf, Cisco  and WLBS. Typically this is
> used to load balance web servers, dns servers and firewalls.
>
> 2. Shared Nothing: This consists of two or more physical servers connected
> back to shared LUN on scsi bus, FC SAN or iSCSI. In the Windows and UNIX
> worlds this is what "clustering" refers to MOST of the time. You can do the
> same thing on Linux/FreeBSD using scripts. This is typically how MOST
> database servers are clustered.

I disagree, i thought shared nothing means they "share nothing", and
have separate file systems.
Thats what i got out of a white paper from IBM on DB2 versus Oracle.

Now if you have a shared SAN and it a net app that has redundant
heads and storage and fail over,
you have two or more application servers fronting a
truely redundant "filer".

This is the way i went, all though the DB2 sol'n sure looks good. But we
needed the Netapp dual-head SAN for other stuff, so it made the
Oracle cluster system (single shared disk array) viable, as with the
Netapp (3040), is truely a redundant SAN.

We actually had to by netapp oracle aware cluster software, so the
netapp is taking the snapshoots that are accurate of the DB.

-tl