(Simple?) High availability question

Ansar Mohammed ansarm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 2 01:15:33 UTC 2007

There are many types of HA solutions.
1. Load balancing: This assumes that there is little or no data to
synchronize and basically the client connections are load balanced between
two or more hosts. Eg: DNSRR, OpenBSD pf, Cisco  and WLBS. Typically this is
used to load balance web servers, dns servers and firewalls.

2. Shared Nothing: This consists of two or more physical servers connected
back to shared LUN on scsi bus, FC SAN or iSCSI. In the Windows and UNIX
worlds this is what "clustering" refers to MOST of the time. You can do the
same thing on Linux/FreeBSD using scripts. This is typically how MOST
database servers are clustered.

3. Application Clusters: Application specific replication technology that
replicates data and manages client connectivity. Eg: Active Directory,
Oracle RAC, SQL Server. It can be replicated in an opensource environment
with rsync and DNS

4. Distributed systems: many systems working together distributing
processing among them eg: Beowulf, PVMs, Windows Compute Cluster.

To solve your problem for high availability you should ideally use a shared
nothing cluster for the database and DNS RR or IP Load Balancing for the web
servers.