(Simple?) High availability question

tleslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 1 22:10:39 UTC 2007

Sometimes it might be possible for a customer to be ok with manual
intervention for fail over.
Also perhaps for a support fee charge.
It becomes more complicated when you have things like
"you want to take a holiday" and who is going to fill
in for that support.
At low budgets, manual restore,
and down times of 1/2 hour (should something happen)
have to be expected.
We currently run on a MS sql server platform,
and thats exactly what we get, a few hours of down time a year.
(and we run CAA/pizzahut/roger-home-shopping-channel/DirectEnergy/and
other clients).
With oracle/linux/HP/netapp, we are trying for
ninty-nine nines of uptime (ok thats wishfull thinking).
I guess what I am saying is , don't rule out
a human-manual fail over system.
Some times in the grand scheme of things,
its can be very cost effective, all be it makes taking holidays
difficult :(

-tl