(Simple?) High availability question

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 1 21:45:32 UTC 2007

tleslie wrote:
> I have already gone down this road,
> and end up with the scary sol'n
> of about 1.2 M $  of oracle licensing,
> which when bought at that volume,
> comes down to about 600-700K$.
>
> IBM DB2 looks good, but its only about 30-40% cheaper.
>
> This whole cpu/cpu-core/socket licensing is also a nightmare.
>
> i think pgcluster (or is it pgpool) 2.0 is out now,
> and for a small task on a simple system set up with a
> good chance to test and burn in, might give you what you want.
>
> I expect will see good stuff in 12-18 months.
>
> If you use java DB connectors there is also a few propri
> projects out there that are reasonably priced.
>
> For me , I have gone with a Oracle RAC and
> mutli site redundancy with a Netapp dual head
> 8GB fibre redundant SAN behind the scenes,
> which gives a pretty good sol'n,
> well ..... i'll say for sure once I have
> built it! for north of a M$ it hopefully will.
>
> -tl

Um, wow.

That's quite a bit more hardcore than what I need. :) I've got a very
small/non-existent budget so fancy hardware and proprietary licenses is
just not an option. I've got to do what I can with basic networking gear
and a couple new IBM x-series servers, an older (but nice) proliant and
a couple white-boxes for misc. tasks.

Thankfully, the sites we host are pretty straight forward. The most
fancy are ones with perl/cgi scripts with a very limited number of
php/mysql apps only. No fancy 'web 2.0'/java stuff.

Madi; who is starting to realize she's got herself into a doozie of a task!