Consulting work in the US; tips?

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jul 29 18:30:14 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 05:54:11AM -0400, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> On Monday 23 July 2007 21:47, Madison Kelly wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> >    I've got an offer for three-days consulting work in the US. Has
> > anyone here had recent experience travel down south for work? Any
> > tips for a painless border crossing?
>
> 1. Be prepared for completely arbitrary interpretations of the (silly)
>
> 2. Have a written contract from your client and a mountain of
>
> 3. You do not need a TN visa if you are going to the U.S. to service,
>
> 4. Be truthful in your answers. The consequences for being caught

Interesting thread.

I was denied entry about 7 years ago.  I was under the impression that,
as Canadian citizen, I don't need a permit to enter US for a visit.
And, my trip was a visit to meet potential client and to discuss job
specs, and no work would be done in US in any case.  Apparently not.

I went back to the border a week later, with letter from client, full
documentations, etc.  I got the same INS guy and the same hassle.
Fortunately, his coworker processed my application.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell