Consulting work in the US; tips?

Richard Dice rdice-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 24 22:41:15 UTC 2007

> I am curious to know about the process of obtaining a TN. I don't know
> anyone who has bothered with it. It's simply been too easy and
> uneventful to lie. I've assumed it was a lengthy overcomplicated ordeal.
> If I found out it was simple and quick I would certainly offer it as a
> valid option to those that need it and I would warm up to Clifford's
> insistence.

I got my first TN-1 in August 2000.  I was a complete US work permit n00b at
the time.  When I told the people at INS at Pearson what I was going down
for she told me I had to go to the secondary interview area.  In that scary
private room I was told that I needed a visa, that the TN-1 would probably
be the right one for me, and I was told what documentation I needed to get
it.  I had none of it.  After 90 minutes of cell phone calls and after being
cut a TON of slack by INS I had my TN-1.

Ever since I have been ultra-prepared whenever I have gone down and needed
to get new TN-1s. (They aren't technically speaking renewed.  You just get
new ones serially.)  It has never taken me more than 10 minutes of extra
processing each time.

I have never considered lying.

Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary.  I'm the very stereotype of the kind of
person INS would be comfortable letting into the US (e.g. work experience,
university degrees, the "right" colour of skin, no accent, looks good in a
suit, etc.).  If anyone is going to have unreasonably easy time then it's
me.

Cheers,
Richard