Consulting work in the US; tips?

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Thu Jul 26 18:55:42 UTC 2007

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Madison Kelly wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  I've got an offer for three-days consulting work in the US. Has anyone here
> had recent experience travel down south for work? Any tips for a painless
> border crossing?

I've been reading this thread with interest.  Here is my take...

I'm an Australian citizen so I enter the US on a 'visa waiver' which
specificially allows me to go to the US to work for up to 90 days so long
as I'm employed and paid by a non-US company[1].  Thus if a Canadian
employer sent me to the US on this basis I should have no problems as long
as the INS agents understood their own rules.

Surely a Canadian sent south by a Canadian company should have no more
trouble getting in to the US than I would.

Madi, do you have your own company?  If not, would it be worth setting one
up (it can be done online very rapidly).

[1] Interestingly Journalism is specifically excluded.  A well known
Australian journalist was detained and handcuffed a couple of years back
before being put on a plane back to Australia for failing to understand
this rule.

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"