Ubuntu/Kubuntu w/ Rotating Box?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 25 14:25:35 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 07:34:58PM -0400, Frank wrote:
> What do I have to do in Ubuntu or Kubuntu to enable that cool new
> version where the desktops are on the sides of a rotating box?

If you mean beryl, well then you have to go configure that (it is still
very much not ready for prime time, and is in the middle of being merged
into compiz which will take a while to do).

If you have an nvidia card and are using the nvidia binary drivers (for
which there should be packages in ubuntu), then it is pretty much just a
matter of installing beryl and starting beryl-manager.  Just plain X
works, no aiglx or xgl required (in fact they don't seem to work right).

If you have an ATI, then you have to use aiglx or xgl (both a bit of a
paint to get working) and it isn't as stable and still quite a bit more
fragile.  Same applies to intel integrated video (which work with aiglx,
although crash very very frequently running beryl).

--
Len Sorensen