optical out sound card for linux?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 24 21:12:24 UTC 2007

| From: Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org>

| Charles philip Chan wrote:

| >tleslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org> writes:

| > >any recommended cards?
| > >Obviously the card needs to work well with Linux.

| >The Audiophile 2496:
| >
| >http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496-main.html
| >
| >is really cheap these days. It works with ALSA.

| It does look good. I'm thinking of going a little higher end with their
| M-Audiophile 192 to get 192 KHz. ALSA Matrix reports that it's supported, but
| "input not tested". That doesn't sound great I guess - I'll be using the
| S/PDIF co-ax input...

I don't think that it is in your price range, but I recently bought
a possibly suitable for about $15 or $20 from an Office Depot clearance
table.  It has optical in and out.  The chipset created quite a buzz a
couple of years ago.  I have not tried it yet but it seems to be
supported by ALSA.

  http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=vendor-Mad-Dog-Multimedia#matrix
  http://www.mdmm.com/spec.php?productid=12