optical out sound card for linux?

tleslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 24 17:36:24 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 13:18 -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
> Charles philip Chan wrote:
>
> >tleslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org> writes:
> >

> >>So i am going to buy a bithead head phone amp that is suggested as a
> >>cheap amp (400$) for a HD650 (good ones go for about 4-5K$ and I ain't
> >>going there now),
> >>

> >400$? Where did you get this figure from? The Total BitHead is listed
> >for $149.00US on Headroom. Also have you considered the PA2V2:
> >
> >http://www.electric-avenues.com/audio8.html
> >
> >It has a lot of good reviews on head-fi.
> >

> >>any recommended cards?
> >>Obviously the card needs to work well with Linux.
> >>

> >The Audiophile 2496:
> >
> >http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496-main.html
> >
> >is really cheap these days. It works with ALSA.
> >

> It does look good. I'm thinking of going a little higher end with their
> M-Audiophile 192 to get 192 KHz. ALSA Matrix reports that it's
> supported, but "input not tested". That doesn't sound great I guess -
> I'll be using the S/PDIF co-ax input...

You'll have to let me know about the card. I  lied above, I ended up
getting a quote on the bithead MAX unit in the end (max dsp and max amp)
in a lesser case, for 1700$ (that i am about to commit the credit card
too), so if i mate that with
a good optical output, i should be in heaven with my HD650!
(well for just under 2500K$ for a head phone set up, i would hope so,
i'll go see the shrink later :) ).

-tl