Consulting work in the US; tips?

tleslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 24 16:58:18 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 10:58 -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
> Dave Cramer wrote:
> >> That is my plan. I wanted to have an idea before hand though what
> >> other people's experiences are/were. :)
> >>
> >> Madi
> >
> > Here's something to consider before you do this. If you get denied entry
> > you will be under more scrutiny for every other attempt. You may want to
> > reconsider if the 3 day stint is really worth this. The customs agents
> > that I dealt with do not have a lot of latitude in their decision making
> > process. I wish you good luck.
> >
> > Dave
>
> Given the current politics down there, I am already hesitant to travel
> south. So my personal benchmark is fairly high, and this job handily
> meets that. If I can get down there I will make close to normal month's
> income in 3 days. Given my debt load, this will go a long way (and be
> worth even more when factoring in savings on interest).
>
> My current employer is very cool and is helping me get through the red
> tape, so my hopes are up a modest amount. :)

So you work for them now remote, but you need to go their in person for
a few days?

I got caught up big time at the border. I worked as a consultant for
Siemens, and they were in London Ont., but part of them moved to PA.
so I had to go there periodically.

I was honest when I crossed over, the first few trips were honestly
meetings. But I went sometimes to do programming,
and I told them the truth once when asked .... oh they hauled my ass
over to the interrogation room so quick!
So we talked and I was basically going to get turned around :(
We went over it one more time, I was saying - the whole company moved
the US, this is a benifit to you guys, and I used to work there,
and so now what, this company now all of a sudden can't use my services?
and that seemed to be the case, but they really did seem to
"feel bad for me", and it came out in one last explaination, that the
software i work on, was/is a original canadian package ... BINGO
i am in the air 20 minutes later :)

anyways, to not have that issue any more,
if a (i think manager level or above) give you a note, on company
letter head, as an invitation to meetings, your in like flint.
I went that route from then on, just flashed that "meeting notice"
and in I go. Now in my case, sometimes i wasnt always in meeting,
but honestly working on Canadian software, so it was still legit,
but I didn't want the hassle of having to explain that each time.

So if the person you're going to see can write you a meeting notice,
and they are comfortable with that, unless something has changed,
that's your best bet.

-tl