Consulting work in the US; tips?

David Kreuter DKreuter-q4+D78v0SMv8u52rGdhAxQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 24 15:22:01 UTC 2007

I have had Canadian citizens work in the U.S. through my company. Once someone was refused at Niagara Falls, went to Buffalo, and got a Nafta (thank you Mr. Mulroney) visa in  the management consulting category! Although the work was technical. Such are the vagaries of the border cross.

As mentioned in an earlier post there are Nafta visas.

The smoothest process I've orchestrated involve having a short letter on company letterhead offering you the "job" with a daily rate, duration etc.  Coupled with your experience you are entitled to the visa if you are a Canadian citizen..

Don't bring any corn beef sandwiches. My son crossed at Port Huron en route to a music festival last week and after having been searched for an hour they took his lunch. Easier than catching terrorists I suppose.

It goes both ways. I've had U.S. guys come up for short term assignments.  They get the visa usually, but the Canadians guys want to collect the temporary visa fee.

David