Consulting work in the US; tips?

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 24 15:06:13 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 09:09 -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
> That is my plan. I wanted to have an idea before hand though what other
> people's experiences are/were. :)

I'm a US citizen (by birth) which I've kept so that I don't have these
problems. I have traveled with Canadians to the US for work. The
standard excuses given to customs for the trip are

   - Attending a meeting
   - Visiting a trade show (dangerous if they ask which show)
   - Receiving training

The nice thing about these is that they are business related and the
companies that you are visiting probably don't have a problem stating
the same thing. Still be expected to answer questions about the
activity, who, what, where, when, why, how long, etc.

If you say that you are going to work expect to be grilled about a work
visa and if you are unable to produce one I'd expect you would be
refused entry.

--
Register for the Ontario Linux Fest Conference today!
A Linux conference for users by users. http://onlinux.ca