Apache2 and virtual hosts

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 17 17:07:17 UTC 2007

Madison Kelly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I'm using Debian and Apache2, which uses individual files for virtual
> hosts. Currently, if any one of the VH containers are misconfigured,
> Apache2 as a whole won't come back up on restart or will fail on reload.
>
>   I am writing a management console for our customers who host with us,
> and I would like to allow them to edit their own VH container file. I
> worry though that a user will make a mistake and take the whole web
> server down.
>
>   Is there a way anyone knows up that I can tell Apache to disregard a
> misconfigured VH container (possibly send an alert) and continue loading
> the rest of the virtual hosts?

Try apache2ctl -S to at least get an idea if the syntax is correct. If
not, maybe a conditional to restore the config(s) from a backed up known
working copy?

How about a gui point and click check/radio box type interface for
various options? That way your script controls the input but the user
gets to choose their options.

Jamon