how to point a domain to a host?

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 4 18:59:24 UTC 2007

Madison Kelly wrote:
> peter smerdon wrote:
>> Hello
>> I have registered a .ca domain with www.internic.ca
>> At this point in time I am unsure If I will purchase some hosting
>> space or set up a Debian/Apache server at home.
>>
>> What I wanted to know was what is the next step? If I choose to host
>> the site at home, how do I get the dns servers all over the web to
>> point my domain name to my specific host?
>>
>> If I decide to purchase hosting, will they take care of that step for
>> me? What are some reputable hosting companies here in the gta? I have
>> a simple need, a site that could run wordpress and serve up some pics
>> etc, 300-500mbs of disk *should* be enough,
>>
>> Any help with this would be really appreciated...
>> thanks.
>> Peter.
>
> Full Disclosure; I work for Nouvelocity, a hosting (and other) company. :)
>
> If you host from home you will need to either have a static IP and run a
> DNS server. Generally two are required by most registrars, so that might
> be tricky. With the DNS server up you need to create a SOA (Start Of
> Authority) record for your domain and then tell your registrar that DNS
> servers X and Y are the SOA.
>
> If you have a dynamic IP address, you will want to look into dDNS
> (dynamic DNS). I haven't played with this, as I have a couple full DNS
> servers. There is a lot of info on the web though!
>
> If you want someone to host for you, generally they will handle the DNS
> for you. In this case, you point your registrar at their DNS servers and
> they handle the rest. As for hosting, there are a lot of options. Some
> run on Windows servers, some on *nix, and others give you a choice. With
> *nix hosts (like ourselves), some give you shell access, others use a
> web-based interface (we give shell access). Some offer limitied number
> of email addresses and so on and so on.
>
> With us specifically, we are starting to branch into general hosting. Up
> until now we've hosted only for our programming and service customers.
> With John McGregor though, we've started hosting for anyone. :)
> Currently we have one package; $50/year for 3GB of disk space and up to
> 200GB transfer/year.
>
> We offer DNS for you, and allow unlimited (within reason; ie: <100)
> subdomains and email addresses. We give you shell access, and can help
> with setup of MySQL and PgSQL databases. We support perl and php scripts
> and will install (most) modules you may need.
>
> Being that we are new at general hosting, we're being pretty liberal as
> we learn what most people are looking for. Also, we want to make you
> happy so that you spread the word. :)
>
> Madi
>
> PS - If you want to give me a ring my cell number is 647-501-5200.

Sorry!

For some reason the original message didn't get caught by my TLUG
filter, so I thought it was sent directly to me. I apologize for the
"advert" type message hitting TLUG. I should have double checked the
"to:" field before hitting send!

Madi, who will give herself twenty lashes as penance. ;)