linux distro runs W98 games?

Daniel Gardiner dgardiner0821-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 4 01:45:11 UTC 2007

--- Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Sorry for the top post. I thought I'd include the
> whole email as this
> thread is so old. My FC Hardware Browser reports my
> card as 82815 CGC
> [Chipset Graphics Controller] Manufacturer; Intel
> Corp. Driver: Intel
> 815. Is this card likelty to work well with cedega
> in light of the
> information in this email? Or would it work better
> on my daughter's
> machaine (Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G400 AGP.
> Manufacturer: Unknown.
> Driver: Card: Matrox Millenium G400)?
>
> Chris

  You might want to try asking in the Cedega forums at
http://www.cedega.com/forum/; I've seen a few posts
there from people with Intel cards.  It probaby
depends on what your video card card do under Linux
and what the game requires.  If your card doesn't
support 3d acceleration or pixel shading then you may
not be able to play World of Warcraft or Half-life 2,
but something like Where in the World is Carmen
Sandiego would probably work.

  Both Cedega and Wine maintain lists of
games/applications and how well they work, at
http://games.cedega.com/gamesdb/ and
http://appdb.winehq.org/.  You might want to check
those first to see if either is known to support what
you want to run.

  Xandros is the only distribution that I know of with
the intent of running Windows applications, which they
do with the Codeweavers product. Codeweavers also has
a 30-day trial of CrossOver Linux if you want to try
it out.  I believe that most distros will have a
package for Wine in the repositories that you can
install with minimum fuss.

Daniel