mail list terminology

Kihara Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 4 08:44:43 UTC 2007

Hi pals,

I needed to reset "site admin" password today for the mailman and the
whole episode left me confused. I wonder if anyone here has gone
though the problem.

It looks like there are three users in mailman. Site administrator,
listcreator, and members. All along, I always though we have two
levels, site administrator and members - where members oversee a list
and the former oversee all the list. That don't make sense after
seeing this

# /var/mailman/bin/mmsitepass -h
Usage: /var/mailman/bin/mmsitepass [options] [password]

    -c/--listcreator
        Set the list creator password instead of the site password.  The list
        creator is authorized to create and remove lists, but does not have
        the total power of the site administrator.

The last paragraph imply there is list creator and a site admin. What
is the difference between the two? I really don't see list creator use
and therefore I must be missing something.

And does this guy map to any of the above names
mailman:x:41:41:GNU Mailing List Manager:/var/mailman:/sbin/nologin

Regards
William